I'm Single and I'm Happy

Monday, November 06, 2006

Hi Dad

My mom and I finally made the trip to North Cemetery to visit my dad's resting place last Sunday. We left the house after lunch and since it was hot and the cemetery is far from us I opted to take a cab rather than use the public transport system.

The ride was fast and uneventful or so I thought. Just two blocks from the cemetery we encountered heavy traffic so we decided to venture to the side streets only to find out that the road leading to our destination is flooded. Where did the water come from, it was not even raining. We tried every shortcut we can think of but high floodwater made the cab driver hesitant to go through. He suggested that we take a tricycle instead and even hailed one of us.

We did manage to arrive at the entrace of the cemetery but after seeing the heavy traffic going in I decided to just walk the rest of the way. Seems we're not the only ones who opted to forgo the crowd last November 1 & 2. We just bought flowers and candles as offering and after 15 minutes of brisk walking we finally arrived at the street where my father's remains were laid to rest.

It was then that we got lost finding exactly where my dad is. His space is somewhere in the center of a very crowded plot of land so finding your way is like going thru a maze with walls and tombs blocking your way or what I remembered of it. My mom almost gave up and at one time said that maybe someone stole our gravesite because we kept going around. Finally after endless walking and jumping ever tombs, I saw my dad's resting place. We placed the flowers on a vase and lighted the candles. We stayed for an hour before we said our good-bye and went back home.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! Good thing you were able to locate it in the end. I get into the same situation when I visit my brother, for some reason, we always get lost. It doesn't help either that they are renovating the gravesite so each time we go, it somehow look different. Which add to our confusion.

Kim

10:30 PM  
Blogger marissa said...

That is why I'm contemplating on transferring his bones to another crypt nearer the entrance. I just have to find the budget for it.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great idea. Definitely would make things easier.

Kim

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter