I'm Single and I'm Happy

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

When People Power Becomes Tiring

The Philippines has been in the news for a couple of days now but not in a good way. A foiled coup attempt last Friday that led to the government announcement of a State of Emergency. With the government's not so subtle warning on media take-over if they deem that the news are not favorable to them. Press freedom is a right and not a privilage that can be revoked and it caused me to be more wary of the current presidency. Then news of the violent dispersal of the people gathered in EDSA shrine started filtering in which made me wonder what will happen to those already gathered a block away from our office building. It's a blessing that the whole afternoon passed with no untoward incident. It was only when I'm on my way home did I see the military trucks parked in front of our office but nothing violent came out of it. I did walk a few miles to get a glimpse of the rallyist but did not linger like I used to, somehow my heart was not into it.

Sunday came and regular programming was interrupted in the late afternoon when news of a military stand-off at the Phil. Marines HQ. I live near Gate 1 of Fort Bonifacio and have military people as my neighbors but I never had any inkling of what was happening. But then again, having some basic military training myself the saying "what you see, what you hear, when you leave, leave it here"must be upheld at all times, so they will never talk about specific plans but we do talk about disatisfaction with what is happening to the country. My sister is jumping for joy wanting to go heed the call of one of the soldiers to support them by having a vigil at the military chapel. My daughter is more excited at the prospect of not going to school the following day since the school is beside the Phil. Army HQ.

I never found the urge to stand up and join all these calls to protest and vigil unlike before. Although I'm not happy with the current administration with corruption worse than the Marcos era, I see so viable alternative being offered by the opposition. The leftist, rightwing and opposition are all calling for the President to step down with a transitional government as a replacement. What I need is a face that will take on the resposibility of changing the nation. I want a chance to review that persons capability and integrity. I'm sick and tired of seasoned politician doing all the talking without any action. I believe I'm just one of the many Filipinos who wants to see a change in our country but we have learned our lessons the hard way. It will take more convincing before I can forsee myself going out in the streets again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter