I'm Single and I'm Happy

Friday, February 24, 2006

20 Years After People Power

Today our country is commemorating the 20th anniversary of the 1st People Power Revolution that removed then Pres. Ferdinand Marcos from Malacanang. I woke-up expecting it to be just another ordinary day with a rally to be held here at the Makati Business District later in the afternoon. I openend the tube and what do I see, all the morning programs are reporting a foiled coup attempt early this morning. To think that I live near the military camp but I never felt any disturbance during the night. So I go on my usual routine and let my thoughts wander on how life was for me 20 years ago.

I has in junior high and so into the music and fashion of the 80's (think Madonna, Duran Duran and Spandau). Being a martial law baby, I reapt the good from that era. The public school system was at it's best and my teachers did a good job of feeding my thirst for knowledge. I felt safe in the streets and I remember a clean metropolis. It was no surprise therefore when I became an active Marcos supporter (and I'm not even of voting age) and figured in debates with my classmates who are against him. February saw the rise of political unrest but most of us became pre-occupied with our upcoming prom. Prom night was Feb. 24 and my friends and I were having our hair fixed at a salon when the guys passed by and told us that the school has to postpone the event due to the people uprising in EDSA. How I hated Cory and all the other prominent personalities of EDSA 1 that I joined all the pro Marcos rallies after his downfall. I experienced being hit my high pressure water canons and being chased by anti riot police. Gosh, those were the days......


As I'm writing this entry the President just declared a State of Emergency allowing her government to do warrantless arrest to those who are plotting against her administration. How ironic can it be that after 20 years we are agains seeing what could possibly be a repeat of the past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter