I'm Single and I'm Happy

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Art of Letting Go


My best friend has been scouring all the music stores in her area for a couple of days now to get hold of an album containing the song "The Art of Letting Go" by Mikaila but to no avail. My good-luck fairy was beside me today because I was able to secure it for her during my lunch break (thanks to the helpful guy at Tower Records).

The album contains 16 tracks that will pull your heartstrings if you happen to be going through a rough time in your lovelife. I remember a phase in my life when my eyes turns into a faucet everytime I hear One Last Cry by Brian Mcknight. Good thing I've learned to let go so it now leads to my question..... is there really an art in letting go?

We all go through our individual journey in life experiencing a gamut of emotions, some happy and exciting but pain and sadness will not be far behind. For what is life without lessons to be learned the hard way. Having gone to some very tough moments myself, I'm sharing what I've I learned so far in the hope that someone out there might need them.

Acknowledge the moment you are in, the emotions you are currently feeling. Sometimes we do get well meaning advise from friends not to wallow and forget it/him/her and go out to enjoy your new found freedom but we all need time to cry our eyes out. Time on your own to grieve, to cry and have fits of anger is needed to find a release. Depending on the intensity of whatever hurt or sadness that we feel, the emotional high will slowly subside and your feelings will start to numb.

To me the second phase is always the hardest. Once we've accepted the cause of our hurt then we begin the process of forgiving ourselves and whatever and/whoever caused our hurt. Our ego will rise like devils advocate as we weigh in the the why's and what of our experiences. It's a constant battle between logic, reason and emotion. It will greatly help if you have a spiritual adviser or a trusted friend to guide you at this phase but "guide" being the operative word here, it's still up to us to come to terms with everything.

Acceptance signals that we are ready to let go of whatever burdens us. Suddenly the world looks beautiful and fresh in your eyes so go ahead and enjoy life again. After all, letting go means being free at last from our past. Life is meant to be lived through all it's ups and down so here's hoping your journey will be a meaningful one.

Site Meter