I'm Single and I'm Happy

Monday, September 04, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

Yesterday was another movie date for my daughter and I and our pick was the Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway film “The Devil Wears Prada” based on a book written of the same title by Lauren Weisberger. It was a unanimous choice for us because I happen to love Meryl Streep and my daughter has dreams of working for a fashion magazine someday. The movie started with Andrea Sachs (Anne Hathaway), a small-town girl fresh out of college, applying for a job that "a million girls would die for." – 2nd assistant to Miranda Priestly, the high-profile editor of Runway magazine. Her motivation? A recommendation from Miranda can guarantee her an entry to any respectable publishing house and pursue her dreams of becoming a journalist. She got the position to the utter amazement of everyone working there because the girl has NO fashion sense at all. Miranda only hired her because she’s had it with fashionable but incompetent assistants, and is hoping that the brainy newcomer will prove to be a less irritating and more resourceful. Andrea is sorely tested each and every day--and even late into the night with orders barked over the phone. As things escalate from the merely unacceptable to the downright outrageous, like getting the manuscript for a still unpublished Harry Potter book in just 6 hours. As expected her relationship with her friends and boyfriend suffered as Andrea started to be absorbed with her work and without realizing she is slowly becoming as cunning as her boss. In the end she has to decide if her job is worth sacrificing her life and dreams. As expected Meryl Streep was awesome playing the role of Miranda Priestly. She doesn’t need to shout and bark her orders. Her look alone is enough to make you cower in fear. I enjoyed the transformation of Andrea from a dorky dresser to a fashion plate worthy of being featured in their own magazine.
Acting wise she is good but it’s hard to outshine or even be at par with Meryl. Overall it’s a good movie that I would love to watch again on DVD. I’m buying the book just to compare and will let you know if the movie came close.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will need to give this a try. So far liking the story line. I love story like this, can't go wrong with watching something funny. Comedy is my favorite genre. With Meryl Streep in it, even better. Brillant actress!

Kim ^^

8:00 PM  
Blogger marissa said...

I hope you would enjoy it like I did.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meryl Streep is a great actress! Need to check this out myself!! I'm sure we'll enjoy it as long as it's a good comedy. kekekekk

happybi ^^

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter