I'm Single and I'm Happy

Friday, September 22, 2006

"Lobat" Filipino Word Of The Year

Declared "Word of the Year" at the annual language conference Sawikaan 2006 sponsored last month by the Filipinas Institute of Translation (FIT), Blas F. Ople Foundation and the NCCA was "lobat." It won over four other finalists chosen by the conferees: "botox," "toxic," "spa," and "orocan."

"‘Lobat’ made it as top choice because of its interesting and relevant review of literature, clear presentation, and the startling conclusion that Filipinos nowadays are much like cellular phones – the ubiquitous machines that symbolize modernity – that rely so much on the mini-batteries that discharge energy in no time. Filipinos go ‘lobat’ because of personal, social, and global pressure.

Now this is really interesting since I do use "lobat" to refer to my state of mind especially after being "toxic" with work and whatever is happening around me.

link:http://www.philstar.com/philstar/lifestyle200609220501.htm

1 Comments:

Blogger Shells Bells said...

I like that word..lobat..it kind of rolls off your tongue!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter